Sunday, September 5, 2010

Trends in Sports

The trend I want to look at has to do with the comparison of religion and sports. I started thinking about this while I was missing church to attend my live draft for fantasy sports. Sports players are made to be Gods in this day and age. Look at the comparisons of some of our sports traditions (new and old) to those of particualr religions. We have things such as the "Hail Mary" pass in football, athletes have "followers" on Twitter and Facebook, and we even dress up in costumes and pain our faces when we attend games which is pretty close to receiving ashes on the head if your Catholic or wearing robes and special garments for certain religious days. Stadiums are now called cathedrals and some universities even recruit athletes by using their religion; Nortre Dame, Texas Christian University, and Brigham Young University to name a few. We as "normal" people look to these people as if they are not moral. I mean i was hoping/praying that i got Chris Johnson in the draft (I didn't). Sitting here thinking about this makes me a little sick to my stomach. I am hoping that i remember this in the future and remember that these re normal people with normal lives who are just fortunate to play a game for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment