Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sports Entrepreneurs: The New Renaissance Man

Athletics and sports have been my sole passion ever since I was told that i could not participate in them. I was born premature with a lot of problems. The worst being that my feet are actually missing tendons that are quite important to the function of the foot. When I was six years old the doctor told me that I should give up playing Little League Baseball because that pain and agony would be to great. Do you think that happened? The answer is a most defiant "NO WAY". From that point on I dedicated myself to sports and athletics. I was the only person in my high school to have a varsity letter in six sports. I played football (won state championship), basketball (lost in the state championship), Baseball (won state championship), soccer, wrestling, and track. I also was apart of the golf club and to this day can still play a very good round of golf. Coming out of high school with a resume like that I knew I was destined for a career in the sports industry. I attended the University of Indiana to pursue my dream of a degree in Sports Management because I could not find a school in California that offered the program. I spent one year at Indiana before transferring to Dakota Wesleyan University in South Dakota. I transferred after a very out of the blue call from the head football coach at DWU. Even though I had not played football for over a year and a half he wanted to offer me a scholarship to play football. I jumped at the chance and immediately saw time as a spot starter. While attending DWU I was the Intramural Director for the university and was in charge of all intramural sports and activities for two years. I also dabbled my hand at the coaching ranks when I coached 4th,5th, and sixth grade girls and boys basketball. I would say thins was one of my most difficult tasks i have ever attempted in my short life. After I graduated with degrees in Sports Management, Business Administrationa and Multimedia I began what i like to call the real world. I was offered a position as the Special Olympics Coordinator for a facility in South Dakota and I jumped at the chance to work with people with both pysical and mental disabilities. I truly have learned more from these people then I could have ever possibly learned doing anything else. The main reason I want to be a sports entrepreneur is that sports and athletics have lead me through my life. I have ideas for a company that does fundraising for groups such as the Special Olympics and I also have an idea for a Fantasy Sports company. I say i am an entrepreneur because I have not chosen what I am going to do yet. Ideally, I would combine them all into one company, but that is a long way off at the moment. I will be one step closer when I achive my Masters in Sports Management. I know that with this degree I can really earn my title of Sports Entrepreneur: The New Renaissance Man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment